Delish Recipes by John Morley: Mandarin Mummy Slices
Need some baking inspiration in the lead up to Halloween?
Don’t fear, we have you covered! Our tasty Mandarin Mummy Slices are just what you need to serve up a treat… or trick!
Here’s how to make them:
For the pastry:
- 210g plain flour
- 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 225g Cold Unsalted Butter – cubed
- 6 Tbsp ice water (6 to 7 Tbsp)
For filling and topping:
- John Morley Mandarin Filling
- 1 egg white-lightly beaten
- 1/2 tablespoon water
- 2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Candy Eyes
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Place flour, sugar and salt into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Add cold diced butter and pulse the mixture until coarse crumbs form then stop mixing.
- Add 6 Tbsp ice water and pulse just until small balls start to form. Press a piece of dough between your finger tips and if the dough sticks together, you have added enough water. If not, add more water a teaspoon full at a time. Be careful not to add too much water or the dough will be sticky and difficult to roll out.
- Transfer dough to a clean work surface and gather dough together into a ball. Divide dough in half and flatten to form 2 disks. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate 1 hour before
To assemble the mummies:
- Roll out first disk of the dough onto a floured surface to about 13 x 11-inch rectangle. If the edges start to crack a little when rolling, seal them and continue rolling. Trim edges to get straight edges, then cut into your preferred sized rectangles. Roll out second dough disc and cut into ½ inch stripes.
- Arrange the rectangles, spaced apart on prepared baking sheet and spread heaping 1½ -2 tablespoons of Mandarin pie filling onto each rectangle, leaving rim on all sides uncoated. Brush uncoated edges with the mixture of lightly beaten egg white and 1 Tbsp water. Top with strips to create mummy look, then seal edges with your fingertips, and trim the excess of the stripes. Brush the stripes with egg whites and sprinkle with mixture of 2 Tbsp sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
- Bake until golden brown about 20 minutes.
- Stick candy eyes onto cooled mummies.