Delish Recipes by John Morley: Bakewell Tart
Bake a delicious classic Bakewell tart with this easy recipe, perfect for everyday baking and occasions!
- Preparation time: 30 mins
- Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
- Serves: Serves 8
For the shortcrust pastry:
- 175g plain flour
- 75g chilled butter
- 2-3 tbsp cold water
For the filling:
- John Morley Raspberry Filling
- 125g butter
- 125g caster sugar
- 125g ground almonds
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- ½ tsp almond extract
- 50g flaked almonds
For the topping:
- Handful of flaked almonds
- Icing sugar
- To make the pastry, measure the flour into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Add the water, mixing to form a soft dough.
- Roll out the dough on a lightly floured work surface and use to line a 20cm/8in flan tin. Leave in the fridge to chill for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/Gas 6 (180C fan).
- Line the pastry case with foil and fill with baking beans. Bake blind for about 15 minutes, then remove the beans and foil and cook for a further five minutes to dry out the base.
- For the filing, spread the base of the flan generously with John Morley’s Raspberry Filling.
- Melt the butter in a pan, take off the heat and then stir in the sugar. Add ground almonds, egg and almond extract. Pour into the flan tin and sprinkle over the flaked almonds.
- Bake for about 35 minutes. If the almonds seem to be browning too quickly, cover the tart loosely with foil to prevent them burning.
- Meanwhile, sift the icing sugar into a bowl. Stir in cold water and transfer to a piping bag.
- Once you have removed the tart from the oven and garnish with flaked almonds and icing sugar.